Post subject: Re: TTA is Awesome
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:36 pm 

TTA ID: 0
TTN ID: 0
Harsh butt affair.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:01 pm 
TTA Champion

This will likely only appeal to people as nutty about tta stats/history as I am (sadly there are lots of sweet players that don't get a shoutout in it), but I had a huuuuge database of nonsense back in the day and figure may as well publish - mostly to justify myself as the GOAT (which I still kinda believe, but, well, much of the evidence favors Yojimbo, often by a lot, and obviously Delial and Seto are phenomenal as are others) - and maybe someone out there'd find it interesting? There's a few categories I lead in so let's all pretend they're the most important. So I stuck most of it in the link below on my chess blog. It's almost all tournament results stuff - we have chess elo ratings applied to TTA and the top 15 rated players each year from 2004-17 as well as biggest improvers and all time peaks, stats leaderboards, win %s in various tournaments and against various strength opposition, an old top 50 list that is certainly wrong but also pretty good, head to heads between top players, which tournaments were won against the strongest opposition, highest peak performances, collectible cards of players that are cute, me spamming charts I didn't include elsewhere, and some annotated TT games that might be interesting.

Everything is tournament performance only so players that were awesome but did not participate or dominated clan wars instead or were busy playing trade don't get credit. Clan leaders who did great things shall be given no props. Also players who stuck around after peaking or took a while to get good are in my opinion unfairly penalized in lots of the percentage stuff here. There’s lots of awesome things that happened that weren't tournament related, and, sadly, you’ll find no coverage of it here.

Hope it appeals to someone, yes it's all very egotistical, quiet you. Many of the stats have not been updated since 2012/13ish, but ELO ratings, head to heads and Peak Performance (mostly) have been. I take requests if there's something that should've been included but wasn't or if you have comments. Or if you want to tell me that Doc/Karma/Vergil or someone was way better than I'll ever know.

https://raskerino.wordpress.com/triple-triad/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:04 pm 

TTA ID: 95892
GMT: -7
Interesting read, I can't even imagine how much time you spent compiling all of that information.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:20 am 

TTA ID: 80716
GMT: +1
Great work, Wazzup.
Wish the competitive scene was still alive.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:13 am 

TTA ID: 84741
Great piece of TTA competitive history. Always wished we had a little detailed stats corner somewhere, besides the winners list. Nice to see how consistent the top 5 was.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:35 am 
TTA Champion

Cheers. Edited a few things and wrote a bazillion words of nonsense more, like arguing the most pressing issue of the day! Who's better, Kamikaze or Soujiro?!

Yeah Seto, I can't imagine how much time it took me either.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:36 am 

TTA ID: 115148
As usual, when it comes to these things, I wish I had discovered the site much sooner and not at the point where your only major opposition was the all time best with 100 times your experience. And by the time I allowed myself to think "Yeah, I got good.", the site pretty much fully died. Still happy about making the all time top 19 anyway.

Nice work!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:12 am 
A Fallen Deva

TTA ID: 39371
I loved your blog Wazzup, as another TT history nerd it really appealed, especially since I merited a couple of mentions!

For my own self-assessment, I’m pleased to even have made it to the “goods” section, but it helps that my peak of play (which was short as I gained skill by experience rather than practice since I stick around a long time without ever playing a large number of games) coincided with the early days of yours.

Thank you for the compliment on my opening hands article. I’ve always been quite good at explaining “intermediate” concepts, and now I do similar things but with Magic: the Gathering. Once again I’m a mediocre player who hung around long enough to gain a solid understanding of the fundamentals

<Cife> Ladies and gentlemen, Homer ruined my view on boobs!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 pm 
TTA Champion

Pfft like a mediocre player could ever be Deva's sexiest member. I wish you had written more. And you still should! I'd love to host other people's thoughts (except reay's) be it on strategy, nostalgia, concepts, rankings, whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:54 am 
Deva Extraordinaire

TTA ID: 0
GMT: -5
This is really good, Wazz. However, as a data visualization professional by trade, if I published charts or anything that looked like that as a finished product I would be looking for a new career. :)

I couldn't help but notice my name all over these pages so I figured I'd take some time and do my best to transpose my thoughts. Be gentle regarding my organization as this is really going to be more of me thinking out loud rather than what I would publish to the Occult Fan, which is one thing I really do miss about this site.

Me as the GOAT? Looking at my career as a player, all I have to say is LOL. Most players that have spent any time playing me know that I really wasn't anything special at the game in TTA. My collective history of strong finishes can mostly be attributed to favorable draws and odd rulesets. Being TTA's first tournament champion did give me this meteoric rise in name recognition which opened the doors for so many things in my career on this site. So I'm grateful that a tournament in which I played basically nobody, navigated several rounds of closed, and played in an era before completed decks were a thing allowed me to have such success for many years. Although, I define success so differently than most players on this site. Maybe I could make a case for GOAT as a clan leader, but as a player no way.

Of all the players on TTA I've known and gotten fairly close with (despite my general attitude/ego), nobody knew me better than Delial. He and I first interacted on a chat interface many years before TTA came into existence that was Final Fantasy based and happen to have a rudimentary Triple Triad game. The game had same, plus, combo, and was always closed. Each player would be dealt 5 random cards out of a deck of 20ish cards without replacement so neither of us had the same hand. I was really good at that game. Delial was still better, but the gap between skill on here is the Grand Canyon compared to us back then. That's how I was able to make a name for myself here as a player. Triad Wars I was 6 rounds; 2 rounds of closed, open, and open/closed apiece. It was also played at a time when accounts had very few cards. Most of the TTA players had come from TTX, where economic conditions of that site meant that everyone had every card. Nobody here at that time knew how to play as well with an account that didn't have all of the cards and the open vs closed argument ruled the forums and chatroom to define who the best players were on the site.

So, I'm playing in TTA's first major tournament. With rules that I've practiced for years against Delial. Who didn't play TTA at that time. And nobody could overpower the other player with economics. How could the conditions have been more favorable for me?

The final of that tournament was also versus Spitfire, who wasn't a particularly friendly player at the time (but nowhere near the car wreck I turned out to be) so many people were cheering me on. He was also an excellent player so I was not only an underdog, but a fan favorite. I had to sign out of the chat room because there was such a big audience watching the game that the number of PMs I had of people wanting me to win was a distraction. I won that final in one game. Easily. Partially because he misplayed his hand which I feel was overlooked at the time.

All of that put together led to this illusion that I was among the best players on the site. What a joke. I took advantage of favorable conditions. Wazz, you made a comment about how I didn't fare well in tournaments afterward. Two things. Number 1, it validated the fact that I was a right place/right time winner. Number 2, when players saw the draws come out I already had a target on my back. I ran into players much better than me and practiced so hard to beat me. I deserved to lose every tournament I played in since that win. I didn't put in the prep time, card collecting was much more common, and with future tournaments nearly completely abandoning closed I didn't have the advantage anymore. It was a fun ride while it lasted and I rode it for everything I could.

That's not to say that I sucked, though. I won some unlikely tournament matches against players I really respected like Cookie and Soujiro which were very satisfying. Cookie always had my number. Whenever he was in my draw, I knew it'd be a short tournament for me. If there's one win I'll never forget, it was the time I played Jaws in a tournament. Jaws was good and he knew it. And he also knew I wasn't as good as people thought I was at the time. I've never prepared so hard for a tournament match. Winning that was almost as gratifying as winning Triad Wars because Triad Wars was easy. I had such a temper when I'd lose in tournaments after that win. Looking back, I feel like a good portion of that was manifested because winning on this site is really hard and it came so easily at one time. I've advocated for years that the best players on TTA are the ones that are the best handmakers. I play Summoners War in my spare time and I feel like I'm just as overmatched there. For those not familiar, you collect monsters and you can enhance them with runes. There are so many players on there that have mastered that monster pairings and rune combinations that the concept of 'laming' is not limited to the TTA world. I don't care to spend the time on SW to be the best player on there just as i didn't care to spend the time to be that good here. I admire how good some of the players are on this site. I was that dedicated once, but in a world that no longer exists. Want to play me in random, closed, same, plus, combo? I'll give you a handful of problems. Any other ruleset? I'll take the timeout loss to save us some time. Regarding the 'Playing them in their prime' comments, you would've dominated me Wazz. You're a much better player than I was. Somehow I managed to keep the name recognition to be noticed come tournament time, but after the luster wore off from winning the first tournament the fear factor of playing me disappeared as well, rightfully so.

Did I mention I miss writing for the Occult Fan? Although, my collection of run on sentences and unorganized blather above would probably make me consider my own skills as an editor, I really loved writing about the chronological history of online Triple Triad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:40 am 

TTA ID: 12029
I think my personal highlight was when I had to play Kaus somewhere believing he was a god and eventually winning and being completely dehydrated with my head nearly exploding (I was like.. 15?).
Feeling like a little god Kaus just went like "see? I suck :p"
:roll: :)

I'm not the statistics type at all (iudex non calculat) but I can see your blog took a lot of time and effort. It's definitely something to spend some hours reading and checking back on old information. I've always enjoyed reading an analaysis by yours wazz. ^^
It's always hard to compare the very old top tier players to the newer top tier players. Back in the day competition was pretty bad I would assume. Thinking back you were easily considered a good player when at today's standards you were just average. The real good players hardly ever played outside of tournaments so it was hard to get actual experience - comparing to a time when you could set up an open game and have a GreatSephiroth, wazz, Delial or Yojimbo join instantly. If you were up for it you could practise any moment. Back in the day this was not an option - you had a choice between noobs, idiots or lamers.
If however someone played open.. you'd join closed cause uh.. laming was easier. :p There were also slightly different standards of cards. When Pupu was still worth something Nim (I believe) would put up open trade games with his "lame" Pupu in 5 hand and farm people all day long. xD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:10 am 
TTA Champion

That's fair Kaus, I either hadn't known or had forgotten that tournaments were partially closed. Still, on a tournaments only basis, maybe I shouldn't have a GOAT candidate til Cookie, but surely the first tournament winner has to be leader in the goat conversation at that point until overtaken if there is a goat conversation at all?

I am, ahem, not in data visualization. Can we pretend they'd look a tiny bit less hideous if I had made them now and not 6 years ago? It is indeed semi-readable visualizations at best, but surely that makes it partner well with my barely semi-readable writing!

Cheers vid. I've received a few messages talking about how much more laming the older greats tended to do, I'm glad the default level had moved from 5 to 4 by the time I started, as it's hard to imagine getting a foothold against level 5 laming hands (not that level 4 laming wasn't frequent and well worked out, but 5 seems sooo much worse).