It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: TTA Chess Tournament
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:16 am 

TTA ID: 80716
TTN ID: 0
GMT: +1
We had this before, hadn't we? :P

For real now, though. Thanks to Discord, our community is somewhat active again and we are able to plan some fun stuff.
I was thinking about holding a chess tournament of 4, 8 or 12 people (if we're even able to get that many people to play).
Either one, two or three groups, everyone plays everyone. We're going to play on Chess.com.
If Wazzup decides to play as well, which I hope, I'll think of some kind of handicap and/or make him the final boss or something.
Trying to beat a NM as an average (or even beginner) chess player is like going blindfolded against Seto in an open game, without ever having played Triple Triad before.

Quick rollcall first, though.
I'll think of something once I can see the scope of the tourney.

If I'm able to win smokes tournament, I'll throw in the price as a price for my own tournament, lul.

Post subject: Re: TTA Chess Tournament
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:56 am 

TTA ID: 115148
TTN ID: 0
GMT: +1
1. Koalas hug trees to keep cool. Scientists used thermal cameras to watch some koalas hanging out in trees and saw that when the weather was warm, the animals moved to lower parts of the trees and pressed themselves close to the trunks, wedging their bottoms right into the coolest spots.

2. In captivity, koalas exhibit more lesbian behavior than straight. Sexual encounters have been known to involve up to five females. They last twice as long as heterosexual encounters

3.Fifty to 90 percent of female koalas have chlamydia. The symptoms in koalas are chest infections, conjunctivitis, and "wet-bottom," which looks like what you’d imagine. It can be fatal unless treated with antibiotics and can leave the koalas sterile. Here's Here's the catch: Predators aren’t that important to koala population control, but chlamydia might be. In the late '90s, chlamydia-free koalas were introduced into Mount Eccles National Park in Victoria, which had a huge Manna Gum tree population. Without chlamydia to control the population, koala numbers doubled every few years, and thousands of hectaresof forest were at threat until hormonal contraception was introduced. In other areas where chlamydia-free koalas were introduced, the koalas killed the trees and then died of starvation [PDF]. When koalas are stressed, chlamydia—which is normally harmless—limits the population growth. Now, rather than overpopulation, a combination of habitat loss and a retrovirus is making chlamydia a problem even as the population dwindles

4. Koalas fingerprints are virtually indistinguishable from human ones, so much so that they can be mistaken for one another in criminal investigations. The animals' hands are covered in warts.

5. Although koalas eat around half a kilogram of eucalyptus leaves a day, they’re very picky, tending to choose around 30 of the 600 varieties of eucalyptus trees out there. Koalas prefer large trees, but avoid those with low protein content and nauseating toxins. The problem is that two trees of the same species right next to each other can have wildly different toxin levels, forcing the koala to rely on their smell. Eucalyptus leaves are very low in low in calcium, forcing the koalas to go to the ground and eat dirt. They are reported to smell like big cough drops because of all that eucalyptus.

Post subject: Re: TTA Chess Tournament
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:06 pm 

TTA ID: 76466
TTN ID: 1246
GMT: +0
I'll play (but actually play)
I haven't played in like 10 years however when 1 game with wazz was enough for me call it quits for an age... I look forward to the humbling from him!

Keen to win my rare back.