ttadvance.ca

Triple Triad Advance Forums
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:34 pm 
Master of Past and Present

TTA ID: 7444
TTN ID: 0
GMT: -5
MafiJosie wrote:
Second, I agree with most that these cards should remain SPECIAL EDITIONS (its in the name).

MafiJosie wrote:
- Give them out as a reward for a change to win an SE when you reach 5k wins or even for 2k wins (if you want to motivate newbies to stay)

This is hardly sticking to the name then xD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:11 am 
Victim of Fate

TTA ID: 18489
If I get it right Mafi was trying to say that SEs should NOT be given out in plat packs because all you need is a bit of luck to draw one. SEs should only be given out for some sort of achievement, whether that is winning it in a tournament or achieving something else on the site. Defining "special edition" that way, I think he's not defeating the object. In fact, I like the idea of using SEs as a reward though I wouldn't necessarily give them out for 2k wins milestones. Or any milestones in general as that will just increase laming and win farming of which we have enough already as it is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:33 am 
Capo di Tutti Capi

First ..I didn't mean to offend any cardmaker! Like I said, I absolutely love the cards, just the numbering is something I don't like. So Cifey and Dal, please don't get offended.

Second.. I didn't mean to "hand out SE's" I would say that people could win a rare or an SE, similar system to the winning streak system, with an additional, maybe lesser change to win that SE. And if you don't want losers to win an SE, maybe we can set it on 10k games in total, with a CHANGE to win an SE.

Hell.. I was just saying that I don't like it when they are given out on buying plats. A rare is a good enough achievement anyway. Special editions should be a reward for something Special in my opinion. Either 10k wins, Tourney winners, 10k games in total, or even as a reward of player of the year chosen by the community?!? I don't say this is a solution, I am just saying.. keep 'm Special

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:10 am 
Better than Raistlin

TTA ID: 3
TTN ID: 110
GMT: -6
MafiJosie wrote:
First ..I didn't mean to offend any cardmaker! Like I said, I absolutely love the cards, just the numbering is something I don't like. So Cifey and Dal, please don't get offended.

I was just pointing out that I had to make new numbers/backgrounds, since Cife said he lost the templates for the original SEs. No offense taken. =P

Maybe I'll work on looking for a font that's closer to what Cife used.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:47 am 

Ah, I see what you mean, Mafi :p And thanks for the clarification, Rinoa :)

Though still, I feel like the crux of every argument from the people against the SE in packs idea is that it ruins the "exclusivity" that comes along with the SE cards only being won in tournaments. Giving them out for milestones, even for 10k wins, would still result in more being given out than would have been put into the plat packs anyway... not to mention the issue with encouraging lamers. I think Yoji and others would even rather that Balz put a couple into packs before doing that xD Could be wrong though, don't know :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:37 am 
TTA Champion

TTA ID: 75950
GMT: +1
Oh Mafi, please, it's a CHANCE, not change. :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:32 am 

TTA ID: 79184
GMT: -8
Sorry to kinda post in this super old thread, but maybe lamers persist because they have the time and patience to sit there all day and bait noobs to join their games. This is not only causing newbs to lose interest in the game very quick, but it also discourages semivets and perhaps vets to return to the site. Recently, I noticed that every time I log into the site and click on view games, all I see are 1234/5 sppw, and those are my least favorite rules, because they're monotonous and boring to play, esp when your opponent uses the same 5 cards every single time you challenge them. And you think "oh maybe this time, things will be different and he'll try something new or try to juke me," but NO that is never (ever) the case. And therefore, for the past few times I logged on, I instantly logged back out because there's always only 5 users online, in which only 1 of them is actually online, posting a game with no random to lame out nubs.

I DO love TTA, regardless of the fact that it's old, and maybe it's a bit linear too, but that's sort of the nice charm of it all. But it's hard to enjoy when all you see are lamers and no other players are interested in your random games, and then you start to feel like maybe YOU'RE a lamer too!? because you've been waiting for 6330 seconds in the waiting screen now, just trying to pass time on other sites, looking at amazon, youtube, fb, w/e when you really just wanna play a nice round of cards.

So I say, we should penalize the lamers and award the accepters. If we reduce the amount of points lamers get for repeatedly choosing the same hand set in the same day (or maybe even just the same hour), and give bonuses to players who actually have the guts to accept other's unique games and play by their rules, we might actually have a more bustling community posting fun games and people accepting challenges.

Also, it would be fun if we could create our own stipulations when creating a game to enhance the gameplay of cards when not playing with random. For instance, having a function that disallows a certain number combo or number could make the possible type of games infinitesimal. I want players to log onto TTA to play games, not to grind points. I mean card collecting is fun and all, but I look at it as an added bonus to an already fun and ingenious card game called Triple Triad. So maybe we should focus on bringing back those old joys of playing cards again rather than racking on new features you can spend with those points you earn.

And I know this is asking a lot, but maybe finding a way that lets you play with your local friends while preventing cheat would be the ultimate enhancement to this game. I don't have the heart to tell my friends about this site, and then telling them that we can't play with each other, and then watch them get mauled by lamers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:01 am 
Victim of Fate

Your spirit in all honour fish but I think it's too late. It seems like people resigned to the fact that the site is dying and nothing inventive seems to be done about it. Yeah the FFXIV deck is coming soon, wooohooo, because that's just gonna keep the card collectors interested and gives more fuel to lamers. We had SEs added into plats so people will want to play more games and win more points to buy platinum packs....there are tons of reasons for laming people to death on this site and honestly, by now I can't even blame people for laming anymore because they use legitimate tactics to get what they want and we keep feeding them with new decks and double points days every now and then. I may be wrong and things are actually dealt with behind the scenes but what comes through on the forums is the same old stuff. The Auction House was the last really good invention in my opinion but again it caters to card collectors. Another thing that worried me is that this year was apparently TTA's 10th anniversary and I haven't seen anything being mentioned about that but maybe I just missed it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:51 am 

TTA ID: 80716
[quote="fish"]Sorry to kinda post in this super old thread, but maybe lamers persist because they have the time and patience to sit there all day and bait noobs to join their games. This is not only causing newbs to lose interest in the game very quick, but it also discourages semivets and perhaps vets to return to the site. Recently, I noticed that every time I log into the site and click on view games, all I see are 1234/5 sppw, and those are my least favorite rules, because they're monotonous and boring to play, esp when your opponent uses the same 5 cards every single time you challenge them. And you think "oh maybe this time, things will be different and he'll try something new or try to juke me," but NO that is never (ever) the case. And therefore, for the past few times I logged on, I instantly logged back out because there's always only 5 users online, in which only 1 of them is actually online, posting a game with no random to lame out nubs.

I DO love TTA, regardless of the fact that it's old, and maybe it's a bit linear too, but that's sort of the nice charm of it all. But it's hard to enjoy when all you see are lamers and no other players are interested in your random games, and then you start to feel like maybe YOU'RE a lamer too!? because you've been waiting for 6330 seconds in the waiting screen now, just trying to pass time on other sites, looking at amazon, youtube, fb, w/e when you really just wanna play a nice round of cards.

So I say, we should penalize the lamers and award the accepters. If we reduce the amount of points lamers get for repeatedly choosing the same hand set in the same day (or maybe even just the same hour), and give bonuses to players who actually have the guts to accept other's unique games and play by their rules, we might actually have a more bustling community posting fun games and people accepting challenges.

Also, it would be fun if we could create our own stipulations when creating a game to enhance the gameplay of cards when not playing with random. For instance, having a function that disallows a certain number combo or number could make the possible type of games infinitesimal. I want players to log onto TTA to play games, not to grind points. I mean card collecting is fun and all, but I look at it as an added bonus to an already fun and ingenious card game called Triple Triad. So maybe we should focus on bringing back those old joys of playing cards again rather than racking on new features you can spend with those points you earn.

And I know this is asking a lot, but maybe finding a way that lets you play with your local friends while preventing cheat would be the ultimate enhancement to this game. I don't have the heart to tell my friends about this site, and then telling them that we can't play with each other, and then watch them get mauled by lamers.[/quote]
10/10 post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:52 am 

TTA ID: 7582
GMT: +2
[quote="Rinoa"]Another thing that worried me is that this year was apparently TTA's 10th anniversary and I haven't seen anything being mentioned about that but maybe I just missed it.[/quote]

There was the new Legends deck, which is huge when taken all the active members to account. No one else has seemed to want anything else to celebrate the anniversary, or maybe they're just aware there wouldn't be a lot of people who could be bothered to be editor of OF or alike.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:01 am 

Also to comment on the suggestions of new features, my firm belief at the moment is that no big changes are going to happen to the core game anymore as the game code is apparently incomprehensible spaghetti code, which the administration doesn't want to try their luck with. I don't know how big task opening the logic and writing anew would be, but I'm going to assume going by the general unwillingness that it will be very time consuming.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:01 am 

TTA ID: 80716
Sorry for double posting, but I somehow can't edit my previous post.
How to deal with lamers? While I won't call any names here, you guys are aware of the people I mean anyways.

1. You see a new person joining such games and, most likely, failing to get anywhere near a tie.
Copy their user ID, send them a message. Explain how joining those games won't get them anywhere just yet and warn them from other lamers.
That's what I did, and I'm in contact with at least one newbie, that was thankful for the advice. Do that aswell, it helps.

2. Beat them with their own weapons. Watch their games, note their hands, build counter-hands. Spam-join them.
This is not the way TTA should be played, but unfortunately, this is one of the best solutions to get rid of the people killing the site.

While laming wasn't that much of a big deal back in 2006, it really is a problem today. If anyone of you guys that I was previously talking about reads this, start thinking.
Points aren' more worthy than activity, especially not in this hard time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:07 am 

Midas summed up my big issue with lamers. Yeah it didn't matter when there were 100+ people still on the site during the day. Now it's ridiculous. People laming away new members for their precious wins are ridiculous. How can you prioritize your points/wins over the future of the site?

News flash. If you scare away everyone, the site dies. If the site dies, your points and wins mean jack shit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:14 am 

[quote="CC Midas.coM"]Sorry for double posting, but I somehow can't edit my previous post. [/quote]

It's modifying of your posts (including deleting) has been disabled on this subforum for some reason. Probably the reason is the same as for BBCode.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:22 am 
Victim of Fate

[quote="CC Midas.coM"]2. Beat them with their own weapons. Watch their games, note their hands, build counter-hands. Spam-join them.
This is not the way TTA should be played, but unfortunately, this is one of the best solutions to get rid of the people killing the site. [/quote]

It's also, very unfortunately, not the solution to the problem because some people keep their hand and just time out on you or those who are known to use those tactics. The only solution to laming I can think of is that it will get banned but that remains wishful thinking because it's nearly impossible to control. It's like trying to control overfishing, the sea is too big to watch out for all the boats that use illegal fishing techniques. Furthermore, I think laming has actually increased because of the decrease of activity. Or maybe it's the other way round and laming has caused people to play less, not sure. However, unless we change the basics of the game to make it about playing the game nothing will change. As long as there is a reward system and cards to collect there will be lamers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next