ttadvance.ca

Triple Triad Advance Forums
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:40 am 
TTA Police

We have added some new SE cards to TTA

http://www.ttadvance.ca/viewSE.php

Over the past 10 years, doing 2 SE tournaments a year, we have almost exhausted the FF7 and FF8 special edition cards. I have two left Edea, and Seph.
As most of you know this earlier this year we added a SE Villains SE deck specifically for official closed tournaments. We have now added a SE Heros set to complement them for the same type of tournaments.
Also for the official open tournaments we have new Dragon Quest and Xenosaga special edition cards.

Wait it gets better......

Let's face it, not everybody can win a SE card in an official tournament. There are some dam good players waiting to take you down every round.
I am planning to take a couple of the SE's from each deck DQ,XS,Villains, and Heros and put them into platinum packs where everybody can have a chance to own a SE card.
I will post more details on this when it is added soon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:56 am 

TTA ID: 12029
TTN ID: 0
GMT: +1
RIP TTA traditions.

At least they look good.. good job to whoever made them.

1) What are the odds? Same as an AA rare or less?
2) Which ones will you add specifically? Also, can those cards be pulled multiple times? Let's say you decide to put SE Lightning into plat packs, can two people pull her?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:41 pm 
TTA Police

1) I'll get back to you on the exact odds, I haven't worked that out yet. The plan is to make them as rare or rarer than AA cards (rightfully so). If I take two from each deck, we don't want all 8 gone in 3 weeks.
2) Which cards exactly is another detail not decided yet, I will surely let the community know and any suggestions are welcome. As with any SE there will be only one, so it cant be won multiple times. Once someone claims one its removed the pack automatically.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:41 pm 

TTA ID: 115148
Balz wrote:
Let's face it, not everybody can win a SE card in an official tournament. There are some dam good players waiting to take you down every round.
I am planning to take a couple of the SE's from each deck DQ,XS,Villains, and Heros and put them into platinum packs where everybody can have a chance to own a SE card.
I will post more details on this when it is added soon.

Basically, the veterans of the site, who are both good enough to win a SE and rich enough to buy n^n packs will own all of them anyway?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:01 pm 
Fated Circle

TTA ID: 81692
TTN ID: 1265
GMT: +0
Vid wrote:
RIP TTA traditions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 pm 
TTA Champion

I resent the implication that lightning is a hero.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:19 pm 

TTA ID: 95892
GMT: -7
She's a Hero of bad FF games, wazz.

Also, who made these cards? The cutting is bad. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:17 pm 
lost in the oversoul

TTA ID: 30237
GMT: +9,5
double point days, good idea.
se in plats? :/

as someone who will never (well maybe now :P) own an SE, i'm still a little frustrated. i understand that it's an attempt to increase activity because points > plats > chance for SE, but i think that there is still better ways to go about it.

not saying tta is a business, but you can compare it to one. you have 2 goals, keeping your current customers/players, and bringing in new customers/players. keeping your current player base is the most important, because without them the site wont float. that being said, new players don't care about SE's, they just care about getting points for getting new cards. even players who have been playing for a longer period of time like myself, it's not about getting SE's, getting rares are a big enough challenge. sure owning an SE would be nice, but to me (i dont know about everyone else but) it feels almost like spitting on the people that have gone so far to get them. if anyone can draw an SE, where does the challenge to the people go that have collected most/all of the cards go? what is their motivation to keep playing? SE semis or something, but not SE's in plats if you ask me.

you want to get new players to stay? make some form of community integration scheme that is rewarded with points. register on the forums? 50 points. sell a card in players selling? 50 points. register on chat? 50 points. join a clan? 50 points. not saying that my point scheme is good, and something progressive per goal would be more suitable, but you get the idea.

end rant.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:41 pm 
All-Star Deva

TTA ID: 7527
GMT: +2
SE's = tournament wins only. Why trash it?

I don't mean to offend whoever came up with this, but I haven't heard a worse idea in all my 10 years on this site.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:40 am 
Victim of Fate

TTA ID: 18489
AicilaXI wrote:
you want to get new players to stay? make some form of community integration scheme that is rewarded with points. register on the forums? 50 points. sell a card in players selling? 50 points. register on chat? 50 points. join a clan? 50 points. not saying that my point scheme is good, and something progressive per goal would be more suitable, but you get the idea.

end rant.

I don't think that would encourage new players to stay at all. What good is it to throw out points at new players for doing the very basics of being a community member if they don't enjoy playing the game, because there are not enough people around to play, the games that do get opened might be lame or they end up getting joined by better players all the time? I really don't know why so many constantly mention a points reward system. Not that long ago we had that free 500 point/ Platinum pack thing, which I noticed returned again somehow. That didn't help the site. You shouldn't give points out for absolutely everything because there are some things people should do because they enjoy it, like joining a clan.

In my opinion, the main issue is that TT lost its flair. All the recent additions to the site (from adding the Auction House to the most recent SE in plats) are evolving around the same player mentality - the card collectors. Yes, card collecting is a big part of TTA but if you look at it....how many people do actually actively collect? Don't get me wrong, I know that a lot of people make collecting all cards their main goal and I know some people who have returned and increased their activity because of exactly that goal. But how many are not interested in getting all the cards or tire of it? I can't say for sure but I count myself as one of them as I will simply never get all of them, especially with a new deck being added now and then.

Where am I trying to get with this? Well simply put, I figure TTA's main issue at the moment is simply that the game isn't interesting to a lot of people anymore. If you look at all the people who left, it's usually because they outgrew the site. Most players are busy and don't have the time to spend 3 hours waiting for a game trying to collect cards. Card collecting isn't what gets people anymore. So why don't we try something new? A new incentive that isn't about collecting cards but about playing the actual game? I've had a chat with Shuriken about that and he came up with some basic ideas.... (bare in mind these are just some ideas not well thought out concepts):

- Bring back the idea of using Dominion, but use it as only a playing site. Right now, TTA and TTN fulfils the precondition of collecting site. It also means it is exceedingly newbie hostile and gives incentive to wind farming which sucks the fun out of the game.
- Only have five decks with numbers set up in a way which prevents any silly overpowered number combos. For example, no or only 1 7684s, 559As etc. This opens the forum for new combos as well as making it more difficult to win by overpowering opponents because you have more cards.
- Make four of these five decks directly linked to a clan, perhaps in an Elysian Fields type system. The scene then becomes directly combined with the site.
- Remove the incentive to win farm. Hell, why not remove points altogether? No shiny icons.
- Increase the starting deck compared to the usual as it would be about playing.
- Other cards are only obtained via either tournaments, trade (which increases its value) or limited collecting methods (i.e. 'chain' collecting). Some cards may only be obtained by being within one of the clans.
- Make as many new rules as possible – half random, minus & minus wall, make new gameboard combinations (why not one as a cross? Some sort of pyramid?)
- If you want a ranking system, do it based on the cards you use for a game – so by beating level 7s by a weak level 7 hand in comparison based on values or a grade for each card is better than by a strong level 7 or say even more by using level 6s. That can be put on a leaderboard showing the top players – giving a further reason to actually play – who will be the best?
- Swapping number combos often.

In a nutshell, make a site like TTN, use the style of dominion on it, decrease the amount of playable decks to 4-5 so people don't play for collecting, increase the amount of cards attained in starter packs to get people going, get rid off certain lame number combinations, add new rules to make the game about playing and forget about adding points for wins. This sub-site would be linked to the clan/ranking system and all about playing the game not collecting xyz amounts of cards. That way you bring a new fresh wind to the site which might spark a flame in more players than card collecting does.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:50 am 
Lost Seraph

TTA ID: 69123
Vid wrote:
RIP TTA traditions.

Slash of Time™ wrote:
Vid wrote:
RIP TTA traditions.

d-virus wrote:
I don't mean to offend whoever came up with this, but I haven't heard a worse idea in all my 10 years on this site.

I'm quite positive that was around in TTX and in the early Beta of TTA (pretty much right after TTX went down).
So it's not exactly a break with traditions, but rather back to the roots and also not really a new idea either.
Just wanted to point that out.

As for the whole thing itself, it's dumb (Rinny pretty much made every point why) it was nonsense back on TTX and I don't see it bringing anything now on TTA.
Yet that said it doesn't really matter to me since I'm not playing anymore anyways.

That's all. :p

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:26 am 

TTA ID: 7582
Card collection is fine, it has always been. Everyone knows catering to the basic human need of collecting, and adding something to look forward to adds to the life-span of a game, ask Patriot or whoever about their PS3 achievements.

Triple triad has always had problems as a game. Open TT is sort of like chess, but lacks the same amount of depth and the games take time 30 minutes almost always. Closed TT has been compared to poker, but who would play closed TT with the same 10 people who use always the same hands, at least in poker you get the cards assigned randomly. Random closed TT comes slightly closer to poker, but even then you probably want to rather play poker since bluffs are easier to win with, while in TT bluffs don't give as much benefit since you will always get caught lying by the end of the game unless your hand is good. But if your hand is good, why would you bluff? TT has never really been a game you could go really hardcore in. The top is crowded with this small community, the most you can go is casual. The thing always saving TT has been FF8, and it has been now already 15 years from it's release. There is a limit how long you can dedicate yourself to something so old. In past times the connection speeds were slow, making it fun thing to do when you didn't have all the FB games like Candy Crush Saga (I'm close to level 100, btw).

Sorry for the rambling, but my point was, the only thing able to save TTA is the rumoured remake of FF8 or complete think over of TT, everything else is slowing the ultimate decay.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:28 pm 
All-Star Deva

TTA ID: 7527
One big thing is also official tournaments. If the tourney games are intresting and fun, people will keep signing. But to achieve this you guys will have to make damn sure that every single round in every single tournament (official ones at least) has stipulations to prevent lamer hands. And not like round 2 in SEcloud for example. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:00 am 
Victim of Fate

TTA ID: 18489
Jedat wrote:
...my point was, the only thing able to save TTA is the rumoured remake of FF8 or complete think over of TT, everything else is slowing the ultimate decay.

The rumoured remake, as far as I'm aware, is more or less official BUTTTTTTT it will only be a remake for the FF8 PC version:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/1 ... e-date.htm

Goes without saying that Enix, once again, just chose the lazy route and bring out exactly the same game without actually remaking anything. The article talks about a "FF8 HD remake for the PC port" but also mentions that the new screenshots actually don't look very graphically updated. We've seen this being done very recently with the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition which merely tweaked some graphics and added a few new quests...so totally not worth the money if you ask me. Anyone with any brain cells will not buy into the crap Enix does with any of their FFs so I don't think this "FF8 remake" will help us as a site at all; simply because I don't see anyone buying it. But that's just me hoping people still have brains which I've seen proven wrong far too often.

As far as the "decay" goes, well it's hard to deny we're right in the middle of it. The question is, what are people willing to change? And with all the recent changes, all that people do is moan and complain "this is breaking the tradition". Well yeah that's exactly what change is about. Unless the people on this site open up to the idea of giving this site a good clean up, this is it. That's why I said we need something revolutionary, something that TT has not seen before. But if people aren't willing to broaden their horizons because they want to keep their old habits, we've all signed this site off to die. So don't go blame it on the admins for changing the wrong things. It's also each and every one of us who has to evolve. And as so often, people are afraid of change and that will ultimately be TTA's downfall.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:40 am 

TTA ID: 115148
Rinoa wrote:
Jedat wrote:
...my point was, the only thing able to save TTA is the rumoured remake of FF8 or complete think over of TT, everything else is slowing the ultimate decay.

The rumoured remake, as far as I'm aware, is more or less official BUTTTTTTT it will only be a remake for the FF8 PC version:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/1 ... e-date.htm

Goes without saying that Enix, once again, just chose the lazy route and bring out exactly the same game without actually remaking anything. The article talks about a "FF8 HD remake for the PC port" but also mentions that the new screenshots actually don't look very graphically updated. We've seen this being done very recently with the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition which merely tweaked some graphics and added a few new quests...so totally not worth the money if you ask me. Anyone with any brain cells will not buy into the crap Enix does with any of their FFs so I don't think this "FF8 remake" will help us as a site at all; simply because I don't see anyone buying it. But that's just me hoping people still have brains which I've seen proven wrong far too often.

As far as the "decay" goes, well it's hard to deny we're right in the middle of it. The question is, what are people willing to change? And with all the recent changes, all that people do is moan and complain "this is breaking the tradition". Well yeah that's exactly what change is about. Unless the people on this site open up to the idea of giving this site a good clean up, this is it. That's why I said we need something revolutionary, something that TT has not seen before. But if people aren't willing to broaden their horizons because they want to keep their old habits, we've all signed this site off to die. So don't go blame it on the admins for changing the wrong things. It's also each and every one of us who has to evolve. And as so often, people are afraid of change and that will ultimately be TTA's downfall.

We're not afraid of changes, it's just that this one was not necessary. Viewing it as a new player, SEs are TTA's most important tradition, and this change hurts the veterans and is rather useless for the new players. Also, the moment someone collects them all we're back at square one.