ttadvance.ca

Triple Triad Advance Forums
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:26 am 

TTA ID: 114200
TTN ID: 2955
Hello all. Boy, it sure has been a while since I last did one of these, but the purpose is to reacquaint myself with everyone and touch on a few topics of interest. First, for those who do not know, my FB ID is Duncan McTeague in case anyone was wondering who I am. Second, I spent some time last night and this morning perusing the forums and it seems that while a lot has gone on since I was last a part of TTA, some things remain the same, such as recruiting new members, but more importantly keeping them. I forget who posted what, so I do not intend to slight anyone by not mentioning a name, but I am sure you will recognize what ideas are your own.

I like the idea of using Twitter to help spread the word about TTA. If anyone out there uses Twitter or any other type of social media then this would be a great way to get new people onto the site.

AI is another good idea. Perhaps this is something that could be initiated where a new member to TTA (not new account, just new player) could play up to 50 games to build his or her confidence. The trick to this would be that the games were not of the discretion of the player, but were specifically set up so the player could learn the many variations of games that are played. Say, games 1-4 could be closed, no rules, games 5-8 could be random, games 9-12 could be plus...you get the point. This could be done until the new player reaches a point where he or she is playing open R S SW P PW E whatever, and by those 50 games he or she would be ready to join the regular TTA community. Maybe giving half-points for wins/ties/losses, but no increase or decrease in rank.

Another suggestion is that instead of giving a new account a starter deck and 1000 points to spend as he or she wishes, why not 250 points and increase the starter deck to include higher level cards? As someone who is just coming back, I can attest to how difficult it is to find someone to play a game using low-level cards only. I have spent a good amount of time waiting for a game, but have played just one, and in true kurrgo fashion I lost--ha-ha.

I don't know what else I can comment on at this point, other than my ID is no longer 114200 but 118961 in case anyone attempts to PM me. With that, I look forward to seeing everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:34 pm 

TTA ID: 51813
TTN ID: 681
I think now the starter deck should contain 8-10 cards from every level and not just 1-4. Giving 1000 points as a starter looks nice, but that isn't enough to be able to play random at all levels and since I started playing more again the last 2-3 weeks I notice a higher proportion of games now are random than they used to be, and mostly at high levels at that, so it surely has to make sense to give all new players access to play all available games from day one. I mostly play random myself so I include myself in that.

I think they also need to be encouraged to play a variety of rules - some sort of tutorial with different rules would sound nice as you suggest but I'm not sure how easy that is to code. I think encouragement in general though, even if there could be automated messages steering new players to try different rules or giving some basic tips if they lose their first couple of games or just after certain numbers of games have been reached (needs to be quite a low number). It needs to be genuinely helpful and encouraging and not patronising. There are still new players joining, but obviously a much lower number therefore we need to do what we can to convince those that do join to stick around.