ttadvance.ca

Triple Triad Advance Forums
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: TTA is Awesome
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:49 pm 
TTA Champion

Now that I hopefully have your attention, without even resorting to nude pics, I will blabber incessantly about my time here, you have been warned. Further I'd be pleased if you, yes you, told me about the good times you had here.

A little over a decade ago, I stumbled onto TTA presumably the same way many did. I had replayed FF8, loved triple triad (and thought I was good at it, I CERTAINLY was not) and googled it to see if there was anything out there, and, oh my, was there ever.

It was great, all the drive of building a collection along with a version of it where the random rule - always so terrifying in FF8, what if I lose a level 10? ugh - brought endless variations to the games. It's a great, competitive game and a wonderful site to play it on. I gravitated early to closed, as most new players do, but after 1-4 S P PW moved onto level 10 S P SW PW R, no combo, and of course no E, elemental is the bane of existence (lots of great players love R E as the only two rules, there's something out there for everyone). I was accused of stacking at first I think as I didn't have many level 10s and apparently playing random with only a small number of really good 10s is something people did? Anyway it wasn't intentional, I just wanted to use my Quistis card.

10 S P SW PW R closed is a wonderfully positional ruleset that I recommend to everyone. I wasn't yet comfortable enough calculating to be any good at open, but this taught me which squares mattered and when. Imagine a game like TTA but where every card placed will capture, guaranteed, any card it touches. What is the correct result of such a game? Win, loss or draw? Does the starter matter? First turn wins and with any type of first move (corner, side, center) but it's tricky; with a side starter in say 2 if the opponent replies in 7 the only wins are 5 and 9 for the first turn player. If the starter goes in 1 and the opponent replies in the adjacent corner 3, the wins are in 7, 8 and 9.

It takes a lot of players, including myself, some time to play these more distant, non-touching moves, to understand the value of secured cards, and once I did I started winning lots of games on second turn meeting a starter in 1 with a play in 3, they'd go in 2 quite often and by playing in 4 or 6 I'd be the first to secure a card in the classic L formation. In my hypothetical always captures game the secret is this: if first turn secures a card first it's (always? not sure) a win, if second turn does they can draw. This meant that meeting a starter in 1 with a reply in 2 doesn't change the result - second turn still loses - but makes it easier for the opponent who will almost always make a correct reply in 4 securing 1 forever. Replying to a 1 starter in 3 is much trickier as many will mistakenly go in 2, not securing anything. Because it takes time to understand these things I wanted to write in ways that explained it, we'll get to that in a bit.

Actual TTA is tricker with the 10 S P SW PW R ruleset because you cannot always capture, and this usually hinders first turn more, making some structurally correct moves unappealing because that player lacks cards to make the needed captures. Anyway, I got reasonable at structures. Feeling where to play that would most test my opponent.

At about this time in the TT game chats people started mentioning clans. I knew nought of such things and assumed they meant quest clans. Of course I was already part of one! But that wasn't what they meant, and eventually a person particularly patient with my deluded insistence that clans could only be quest clans got me to look at the forums and chat.

I missed the heyday of TTA but it was still active enough for me by the time I got here. Going on the forums and seeing each clan writeup was so exciting, so many worlds to explore, competing factions with big names of people who had won tournaments or were well known for other, often social reasons. Man it was sweet. So exhilarating. It is perhaps no surprise that I became quite quickly, in the nomenclature, a clan whore.

Not everyone attracted to the site is the same, and there's been a ton of animosity over the years, but it was possible to find niches I loved, and not just one, but a fair number of happy niches. Every day after (or before, or uh, during) class, logging into chat was a joy, and I could almost always find conversations that fit my interests be it TT strategy/gossip, sports strategy/gossip, or general life nonsense. There were people to tease and people to joke with and people to discuss the serious things of life with, and often people that would offer all three. I was introduced to movies, great television, mostly british admittedly (panel shows and the IT crowd I think). Made lots and lots of friends, who, admittedly over a decade later I've lost touch with all of, hence the desire to write this very self centered post.

Eventually I got good at open which was a whole new world of calculating variations. I am a strong chess player and that came pretty naturally to me once I got over the fear of trying it. Deli crushing me over and over again beat various understandings into my soul. At one point I wanted to write a mini-book about TTA strategy. So much of the improvement we all did was self taught, trial and error or observing other players without any structured improvement scheme, without a list of understandings to draw from.

Midas, I believe, posted some puzzles at some point, positions where you had to find the winning move, or closed positions where there's no guarantee of a winning move but he explained his thought process - which squares he wanted to play on and what information the opponent had given based on their prior plays, why he preferred one move to another. So part 1 of my book was going to be tactics puzzles. I made a bunch, probably still have them somewhere. I remember playing a game where I thought I had made the most brilliant move ever, there were cards in 4 and 5 and I was to play. The structurally strongest moves are in 3, 6 and 9. However if you can play safely in 1 or 7 there's often reasons to go there as well. I found a winning move in 2 and thought I was a genius. I sent the position along to Deli and in about 15 seconds he replied, 'haven't really analyzed, but x in 2 looks pretty good.' Dammit, he's too strong.

Part 2 was gonna be a more thorough analysis of the above hypothetical always captures game. There were lots of players that calculated well but I thought repeatedly made structural mistakes at a basic level, figured it'd help some.

Part 3 was going to be analyses of various players and things I had learned from watching them. Seto was a good example of an incredibly strong player who often played in a very noncommittal fashion. His opponent starts in, say 1, he can take from 4 but not from 2. My first thought would be a play in 3 setting up a potential capture from 2. 5 is also appealing in order to set up captures (again, I learned a lot from watching/playing Deli, and he played very aggressively). A defensive player like Slash of Time would be much more likely to play a strong, defended corner of his own in the 9, the opposite corner and build from there. But Seto would often play a weak nothing in 9, with only low numbers showing. Something he could easily recapture, that might play off other cards later, but was thoroughly noncommittal. It was very strange to me, but it worked like a charm. He was going to be the "Master of the Weak Corner Play" where Slash might've been an example of someone who finds good strong corner plays.

Part 4 would be annotated games, analyses of each move, puzzles to solve in various possible variations. I did a few such games I think, but wasn't sure the material would be useful to anyone. The important thing I realized was to have constant pictures to make it easy to follow what was being said.

Hand building, haven't talked about that. I did tend towards the lame, the strongest cards, but my instincts were usually towards multi-purpose cards, which weren't always the same as what others considered lame. On level 7 where Slash was drawn to big 88 corners, and others were drawn to 868 types that could PW capture along walls or gafgarion type 8646s that played well against opposing 8s by having differences of 2 making PWs easy, I liked 8764s and spammed them as much as possible in tournament play. Some people, like Piggyman, built wonderful hands from scratch, finding a concept and choosing cards that fit it. I did some of that, a lot outside of tournaments, but in tournaments it was how can I fit the strongest cards available together in a non-ridiculous ways. Get power in every direction, make sure I have some combinations available between my cards and that I have a few potential starters that play well. Anyway, was always a joy to watch good hand builders. I think pigs and deli were two of the more creative when they wanted to be, and pigs at least always wanted to be. I also want to talk about Jedat a bit, a COMPLETE WEIRDO of a player who had a lot of success doing things that left me very muddled. Unconventional stuff like side starters not just vulnerable to their adjacent corners but to 5 as well.

Let's talk a bit more about pig's hands. Like many player's more fun creations they were focused on a 5 starter with the other cards working beautifully around it. What separated him was both his joy in using clearly weaker (or lower level cards) that fit the scheme, and, I think, how he played second turn. Where most players against a 5 starter would look for a corner safe from S/P stuff that the 5 starter could set up, he would play on a side usually, with his intended 5 starter. A much less defensive play than the standard; if he couldn't have 5 he still wanted to play off his 5 starter as much as possible and would put it in the spot that could perform the most comparable feats to what 5 could offer. Aggressive, creative players were always fun to watch.

What else. Have covered the excitement of clans, my dreams of writing a TTA book, people, a bit about playing. Maybe it's time to brag a bit? I had a good career, won a few tournaments, and spent far too much time attempting to quantify comparisons of various players, but at the time of my evaporating from the site, I had just about the highest tournament win % (and also ELO, to use chess's rating system, though I tended to exclude tournaments I couldn't find exact results to... which happened to exclude a bunch of tournaments I sucked in, so take that with however many grains of salt you want). I was consistently good, but I think reached the spectacular less often than some other players. And I kept track of waaaaaay too many performance stats. The spreadsheet just keeps going, jeez. When I showed up, Deli and Seto were the gods of TT as best I could tell. And uh, they, were both definitely more spectacular. Also Karmazin, he was nasty. Some other great players I overlapped with that I might not mention later: GS, Yojimbo, Kona, Nightwish, MC.

I would like more jokes here. Cause there was a lot of hilarity, but jokes fade with time more than general impressions or strategic thoughts. Shame. I wrote some occult fan articles and think those were overly infused with awful jokes, so perhaps it's for the best I don't have the material for any more here. My most common in game message in lieu of the usual "gl" or "gl hf" was the slightly pretentious "best of luck =)" or when feeling feistier "I hope you choke on a pretzel" or "die alien scum" to which Turdz once replied "we come in peace" and we eventually negotiated that his aliens could take half the earth's water, but none of our chocolate.

Shoutout to the following thoroughly incomplete list of people that meant a bunch to me (it's been a while, please forgive omissions): Dalamar and Balz, obviously, thePatriot, Reaymanator, SirSmokes, Piggyman, Delial, Turdz, Feuer, Doomtrain, Kadaj, Jedat, Cife, Soujiro, Amo, Felix, Kaus, Slash, Lolleck, Seif. And some clans: Rotundity, devas, avalanche, tf, elites, wethril, t3, FFF and some shorter lived clans were all ones I took part of in my clan whoring ways, often all at once. I swear I'm forgetting a big one or two. I believe my first was Assassins which wasn't a major clan, but brought me a lot of joy.

TTA the game was endlessly fascinating, and TTA the community meant the world to me, for so long. It was the happy evening to many of my days. Cheers. I was happy, and driven, and that's worth a lot. Account 79212 forever.

Post subject: Re: TTA is Awesome
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:04 am 

TTA ID: 80716
TTN ID: 0
GMT: +1
Good read.
What's your chess ELO, btw?
I've started playing more seriously a bit ago (although I still suck, heh.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:01 am 
Deva Extraordinaire

TTA ID: 0
GMT: -5
Yay I made the list. And the feeling was mutual; always one of my favorite players.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:27 pm 

TTA ID: 106
GMT: 1
WoW !! For sure one of the best reviews I ever read.

You know, take the normal average of nostalgic people, multiply it with 1000...and you are still not even close to my nostalgia level.
A few month ago I cried real tears about TTA, because somehow I thought the complete site could be shut down completely and finally...damn even today I feel like a little child when it says... You have won Unr34l.com...
You couldnt be more right, TTA is awesome, and even today it means so much to me, I simply cant describe !!
Lol, just remember my first few games, SE Laguna was imminent, in which I lost 1st round against TE Soapz
with first move not being sure with the samewall rule...Okay, it´s your rewiew, not mine, but thanks for it !! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:22 am 
TTA Champion

Midas: Just made national master (in the US) actually, but my fide rating's a bit lower.

Kaus: Cheers!

Unreal: Fire away! Your passion is great.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:46 am 

TTA ID: 114257
TTN ID: 2999
Can't believe I went here to get such a good read.
TTA in its peak days must have been a beautiful, fun, satisfying site.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:49 am 

TTA ID: 115148
CC Midas.coM wrote:
Good read.
What's your chess ELO, btw?
I've started playing more seriously a bit ago (although I still suck, heh.)

Haven't played a chess game in ages. Wanna try one out? chess.com was pretty good, since you don't have to play a game all in one go, you can just play a few moves and come back to that game whenever you feel like it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:20 am 

TTA ID: 80716
Sure, just challenge me, you got me in your friendslist.
@Wazzup: Really impressive, congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:57 am 

TTA ID: 42575
GMT: +2
Good read.

If we all had that one player who we thought was the best player ever, mine would be Karmazin.
Apart from being a good player in general, I loved to see him constantly play random open games with all his rares.
It was insane at the time.

And of course there is Yojimbo, who I always dreaded to see close to my name in a bracket.